Would you like an exciting, different and entertaining Christmas idea you and your kids will love giving to others and the recipient will have a ball reviving?
Warning: It’s not for the faint of heart! But I promise everyone will love this gift!
12 Days of Christmas Gifts
I completely involve my children in this gift-giving process. As they get older, it’s becoming more of their gift to give.
We choose a handful of people to give 12 Days of Christmas gifts to the days leading up to Christmas. The way in which we present the gifts is always different. Depending on who they are it may be anonymous or they may or may not know who we are. That’s all part of the fun.
Although technically you should give 12 days of Christmas gifts beginning on Christmas, what fun is that?
What to Give on the 12 Days of Christmas
- Gifts that match up with the song “Twelve Days of Christmas”
Our first year, we went to the dollar store this first year and printed out a poem I found or pieced together online. (If anyone knows who should get credit, let me know and I’ll gladly link back.) I’m pretty sure our neighbor knew it was us but my children had a ball. It was right next door so I wasn’t worried about them going outside in the dark. After this first year, they were hooked and we moved on to bigger adventures.
2. Give Teachers school supplies. I like to give teachers useful gifts. You can start with one of something then work your way up to 12 dry-erase markers, for example. Most teachers have a wish list of items they are wanting for their classroom. It’s also fun to sneak in a $10 gift card to Starbucks or Sonic for Day 10.
3. We usually give this to our my children’s Great-grandma. I put aside small items I find that I think she would like throughout the year.
4. Anyone whose Christmas you want to make brighter! Who wouldn’t love to receive 12 gifts each day?
How to Present the 12 Days of Christmas?
- For my Grandmother, we drive one by her house each night right after it gets dark. The first year we did this she had no idea! She was asking neighbors and other family members if it was them. On Christmas Eve my children rang the bell and waited for her to come to the door. She was shocked and said it was the nicest thing anyone had ever done for her in her 80 years.
- For my children’s teachers, we count out how many days before 12 days left before Christmas break and bring gifts to school this way. The kids last about two days before they have to tell the teacher it’s them!
- If you have a family member far away you would like to do this for, you can send them all 12 gifts at once and number the gifts with instructions on which to open when.
Our Table During December
Here’s how crazy our table looks in preparation for the 12 Days of Christmas. We have planned for 4 sets of gifts. I painted 4 sets of chipboard numbers 1 through 12 red and blue (should be green but I ran out!)
Then the kids and I laid all the gifts out in order. It looks like a mess but actually each day the kids would grab the “1” and either take it to school or in the evening we would make a run and drop it off “anonymously.”
We’ve been doing this for so long, it’s not really a secret anymore to our recipients. But the kids still love it so we all keep it up.
I challenge you to try this for one person who could use a lift this Christmas season! Involve your kids. I have found that celebrating others actually blesses you!