Christmas in July
It’s July and my kids just opened a Christmas present. The present was an envelope marked “July” and it said that we would be going to the water park.
What is Activity of the Month Club?
An Activity of the Month Club is a customized activity for each month of the year for your family. You control which activity, which month, and the price range. On Christmas Day the children receive 12 envelopes marked January through December. On the first of each month, they open the envelope to see which activity they get to do as a family that month.
It can be as elaborate or as simple as you want it to be!
Sometimes, it’s date night separately with each child. This can be a bike ride or a date set aside just to play with LEGOs. Often our kids simply want our undivided time and something to look forward to on the calendar.
Free Connecting Coupons
Looking for ways to add intention and connection into your parenting? Designed specially for single moms and their kids!
Join the mailing list and receive freebies reserved just for subscribers!
Or maybe Mother-Daughter pedicures.
Maybe it’s BINGO as a family.
It takes some planning on your end in December for the following year. But then you have a full year of family activities lined up!
Why I give Activity of the Month Club as a gift.
- It forces me to do activities each month as a family. Especially as a single parent, time can get away from you between shared custody, school, and sports. If I am not intentional about it, it will not happen. However, when it is part of a Christmas gift, the kids will not let me forget about it.
- I am not spending a lot of money in December on gifts. The activities throughout the year are ones I would do anyway. Plus, I can control the activities and cost. It could be a picnic or a trip to the zoo.
- It helps cut down on all the “stuff” bought at Christmas.
When we moved just two years ago we did a major decluttering. I’ve tried to be very conscious of what comes into my house and what stays. However, after I performed a deep clean of my son’s room, I was shocked to unearth all this “stuff”.
Seeing all of this at one time has made me resolute for this year’s Christmas present: more intentional time together, less stuff.
Give Your Own Activity of the Month Club
A membership to Activity of the Month Club is an exciting gift! My children ask for it instead of toys each year. It is also one that would be great to give any time of year, not just as a Christmas gift.
If you want to give one to your family, you can customize your own “Gift of the Month” Certificate and more ideas here.
Other ways to implement Activity of the Month Club, any time of the year for anyone
- A “membership” to your Activity of the Month Club can be given as a birthday gift.
- Give activities to your grandparent in a nursing home. This would ensure the grandparent was visited each month and an activity was brought along each time if they were not allowed to leave the nursing home. Examples could include bringing a craft, a movie, or a game.
- Give predefined dates to your significant other on Valentine’s Day or on your Anniversary.
- Facilitate the Activity of the Month Club between your children and their grandparents. Come up with 12 different activities they can do together. This does not have to cost any money.