Here’s your ultimate guide of memory verses for kids. Everything you need to learn alongside your kids 26 bible verses in 26 weeks. This a tried and true method!
26 Memory Verses for Kids in 26 Weeks – Yes, It’s Possible!
When my kids were 7 & 8 they memorized 26 Bible Verses in 26 weeks using these strategies. Years later, they can still recall the majority of them thanks to these memory verses for kids. The best part? We all had FUN doing it!
I had previously tried memorizing verses with my children and honestly, it was just boring. I took them to church, hoping they would come home reciting verses. Um…no. The fact is, this is a daily activity and your kids aren’t in church every day, but they are with you every day.
At the bottom of this post, you will find an index of 26 memory verses for kids.
Each post contains:
- A memory verse for each letter of the alphabet
- A printable to hang the memory verse up where everyone can see it
- A YouTube video that takes the verse and sets it to a tune.
- Background story, when possible, in child’s terms to give them an understanding of what they are learning.
This can be a special and fun way to spend time with your kids as part of their nightly routine. And you’ll end up learning 26 verses too!
Learning Memory Verses as a Child
If you follow these proven steps below, you’ll not only establish a wonderful bonding experience each night, but you’ll also be equipping your child with 26 scriptures to fall back on for the rest of their lives.
The benefits of learning scripture at a young age are numerous. The verses I can recall most quickly are the ones I learned as a child while in summer camp. I’ve called upon those scriptures many times in my life to help me through difficult seasons.
How to Use the Memory Verses with Your Kids Successfully
- Consistency is key, so daily review the verses.
- Learn with a song. Just like we still remember all the words to our favorite songs from the 90s, if we learn a Bible verse to a catchy tune, we are all more likely to remember it.
- It must be fun for our kids (and you) or no one will want to do it. One thing I did to make it more fun was to record my kids singing the verse. They loved watching themselves. I also let them sing in ridiculous voices if they felt like it. They thought it was hilarious but they were learning.
- Have the verse hanging up so everyone can see it throughout the day. If your kids can’t read yet, whenever you walk by it, read it aloud if they are with you. You can print these verses off from the resource library below.
- Put the verse in context. Explain the story around the verse. Kids love stories.
- Make a game out of it. We memorized one bible verse for each letter of the alphabet. That way the kids knew we had a goal and an endpoint. Each week they knew we were going to work on the next letter. It was exciting for them and not “just another verse.”
- As an added incentive I like to quiz my kids at the end of the year. Quiz time! Can they recite (or sing) all 26 verses and references?
Workbook for Memory Verses for Kids
The one thing I wished I had when I was teaching my kids how to memorize Bible verses was something tangible. All we had was the YouTube songs and the printables that I made. And while it was great, and it worked, we still needed some material to work with.
So, I created the very thing we were missing – An ABC Memory Verse Workbook! It contains 5 pages per verse (per letter) and gives your child one activity to do for each day of the week! You can get yours HERE!
ABC Memory Verse Cards
In the resource library, you can print off a small deck of 26 Bible Verses and make a book for your child. Or you can print a large verse off for each week.
To download all 26 Bible Scriptures cards, click here to get free access to my resource library.
Quick index of ABC Memory Verses for Kids
Each post below contains a link to a YouTube video because learning along to a tune is key. Additionally, you always have the option to print off the Bible Verse for that letter. Take it one letter at a time and at your own pace!
- A Verse: Joshua 24:15 “As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord”.
- B Verse: Ephesians 4:32 “Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other just as Christ forgave you.”
- C Verse: Ephesians 6:1 “Children obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right.”
- D Verse: Philippians 2:14-15 “Do everything without complaining, do everything without arguing, so that you may become blameless and pure children of God.”
- E Verse: Proverbs 20:11 “Even a child is known by his actions by whether his conduct is pure and right.”
- F Verse: Matthew 12:34: “For out of the overflow of the heart the mouth speaks.”
- G Verse: Psalm 136:1 “Give thanks to The Lord for he is good. His love endures forever.”
- H Verse: Matthew 21:9: “Hosanna to the Son of David. Blessed is He who comes in the name of the Lord! Hosanna in the highest.”
- I Verse: Psalm 119:11: “I have hidden your word in my heart. So that I might not sin against you.”
- J Verse: John 8:12: “I am the light of the world, whoever follows me will never walk in darkness but will have the light of life.”
- K Verse: Hebrews 13:5 “Keep your life free from the love of money and be content with what you have because God has said, “Never will I leave you, never will I forsake you.”
- L Verse: Mark 12:30: “Love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength.”
- M Verse: Psalm 100:1-2: “Make a joyful noise to the Lord all the earth. We’re gonna make a joyful noise to the Lord all the earth. Serve the Lord with gladness! Come into his presence with singing!”
- N Verse: Romans 8:38: “Nothing shall separate us from the love of God.”
- O Verse: Psalm 63:1: “Oh God, you are my God. Earnestly I seek you. My soul thirsts for you…..”
- P Verse: Psalm 148:1-5: “Praise the Lord from the Heavens; Praise Him in the heights above…”
- Q Verse: James 1:19: “Quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to become angry.”
- R Verse: 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18: “Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.”
- S Verse: Matthew 6:20-2: “Store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and rust do not…”
- T Verse: 2 Corinthians 5:17 “Therefore if anyone is in Christ he is a new creation; the old has passed away behold the new has come.”
- U Verse: Psalm 123:1: “Unto You I lift up my eyes, O You who dwell in the heavens.”
- V Verse: John 6:47: “Verily, Verily, I say to you, whoever believes has eternal life.”
- W Verse: Psalm 56:3-4: “When I am afraid, I will trust in you. In God, whose word I praise, in God I trust.”
- X Verse: Psalm 99:5: “eXalt the Lord our God and worship at his footstool; Holy is He.”
- Y Verse: Matthew 22:37-39: “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind…”
- Z Verse: Psalm 97:8: “Zion hears and rejoices.”