When you actually take the time to clean your house, you want it clean. You don’t want to add chemicals to it. Marketing these days has made it so impossible to understand what is “green” or “environmentally friendly” or “natural”.
When You Have a Chronic Illness
If you have fought any kind of chronic illness, you have probably given the chemicals in your home some thought.
The air in your home is two to five times more polluted than the air outside. In some cases, it is 100 times more polluted, according to the EPA.
Many of the chemicals found in our personal care products are toxic and wreak havoc on our bodies. Of the 2,938 chemicals tested, 884 are toxic, 146 can cause tumors, 218 can cause reproductive complications, 778 can cause acute toxicity, 314 can cause biological mutations, 376 can cause skin and eye irritations. [Source: United States House of Representatives Report from the National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH), 1989]
I have personally fought a chronic condition for over 20 years. I’ve been to more specialists than I could list.
My breaking point came when my last specialist told me he could not do anything for me and I should just go to the ER for relief.
I did not go to the ER. Instead, I went home and took more medication than I could handle. Later in a stupor, my mom drove me to a masseuse who for two hours helped bring me back to semi-life.
It was over the next year that I went back and forth between giving up and wondering if perhaps my chronic condition is environment based. It’s impossible to know. I can largely control the environment inside my home.
The Environmental Defense Fund states “Many serious health conditions are on the rise today, including asthma and other respiratory diseases, diabetes, heart disease, childhood cancers and reproductive disorders. Research indicates that exposure to toxic chemicals and air pollution can contribute to these health risks.” They have been working with Congress to pass a new law that will give the EPA the tools to test the safety of chemicals. As with anything in the government (speaking as a former government employee), this can take years.
What Can You Do to Embrace Toxic Free Living?
What’s really in those products you buy from the supermarket? How do you know if you are using a potentially bad chemical on your skin?
- Take a look at the back of the bottle. How many ingredients are in there? Can you pronounce them?
- Search on the internet and see if one of those ingredients is linked to any diseases or not even allowed in other countries that have more stringent guidelines.
- Download the app “Think Dirty” or the app “EWG” (Environmental Working Group). I used the app Think Dirty and was shocked what I had been putting on my skin, my largest organ. I began cleaning out everything under my bathroom sink. Don’t forget to scan your makeup too!
Results of some of my product searches on the Think Dirty App.
Here is a picture of everything I threw away after seeing what scanned as toxic on the Think Dirty App.
To Achieve Toxic Free Living you have to Ignore marketing.
- Don’t buy your natural foods, cleaning products, makeup, or supplements if you see them on a commercial.
- Don’t buy natural foods or cleaning products from a supermarket or chain store.
- Avoid buying natural foods or cleaning products if they go “on-sale”
These are all red flags that they are not “natural”, “green”, or “organic”.
Think about a tomato.
Does the farmer who is growing his tomato plants with no pesticides and selling to the local farmers market each Saturday going to have a commercial on Thursday nights? Is he going to sell to your big supermarket chain with an ad in the Sunday paper for half off all week? No. He is going to sell based upon nature because his products are truly natural.
Yes, it can cost more up front. But so do appointments to the doctor and prescriptions and going years and years trying to find out what environmental toxins have built up in our bodies.
For everyone this journey is different. For me, I found great ease in Young Living Essential Oils. They have simplified my life. I use one cleaning product for my whole house: Thieves all-purpose cleaner.
Essential Oils are truly chemical free, steam distilled or cold pressed from pure plants. There’s nothing in them but that one oil, whether it is lemon, tangerine, lavender, peppermint, or others.
Again – that tomato. There are over a million uses for essential oils – cleaning supplies, personal care products like toothpaste and deodorant, in the diffuser, oil-infused nutritional supplements.
It is important when choosing an essential oil company that you know, just like a tomato, that there are no additives or else you are right back where you started.
Yes, I still struggle with my chronic illness. That’s why it’s labeled as chronic.
But I will do what I can to control what is within my control.
I challenge you to see what you have lurking in your cabinets. Download the Think Dirty App, do some additional reading on some of these resources.
- For more in-depth reading see the EWG’s list of the 12 hormone-altering chemicals and how to avoid them.
- More from an interview with Jessica Assaf and the Huffington Post.
- Her website BeautyLiesTruth also has a goldmine of information.
Replacing the Chemicals in Your Home
If you want to tune out the marketing and chemicals and toxins in your home, then a great start is with a Young Living Starter Kit. From there you can add any other products that appeal to you: makeup, cleaning supplies, supplements, etc. All made using naturally derived essential oils with no added synthetics.
If you have only smelled the drug store or oils from online stores then you haven’t experienced pure essential oils. These can easily replace your perfume, provide you with a chemical-free home, and it can provide support for your whole body. This is exactly how I threw out all the chemicals in the picture above.
If essential oils are new to you, I suggest you read my post about the basics of each oil in the Starter Kit. If you already know and have just been needing to see the financial value, consider: the premium starter kit is the only thing on the Young Living site that’s half off. Without considering the diffuser, you’re literally getting 11 bottles of therapeutic grade oil for $70. Each bottle has 90 drops of oil in it – that is 90 applications.
The kit also comes with:
- 11 oils – everything in the graphic below – The full list is explained in a previous post.
- Bottles to share with your family and friends
- An AromaGlide roll-on bottle to apply the oils on the go
- Samples of NingXia Red for full system support
- A diffuser – this is usually people’s favorite item.
A lifetime wholesale membership
- That means 24% off your oils, cleaning products, makeup, supplements for life
- Every single order that you place after the kit is 24% off
- To maintain a wholesale membership you only have to spend $50 in a calendar year in oils that you select. There is never a membership fee and no pressure to ever order again
How to Order
- Go to youngliving.com
- My sponsor/enroller number should be defaulted, if not type in 10435375 in both boxes. I will personally be your guide along this whole process! You won’t be buying a product and left on your own.
- Screen 2 lets you pick out your kit (Premium Starter Kit with either Home Diffuser or Dewdrop Diffuser is what is described in this post. If you want information on other kits, contact me.)
- Screen 3 adds your mailing info
- Screen 4 collects your payment info
Why order through me?
- You will be added to our private Facebook group which is a very active online community to ask questions and learn from each other how to use the oils.
- I will recommend a couple other private Facebook groups that are more educational.
- FREE: an 82-page book with detailed information on each oil, how to use each one, how to use your diffuser, other oils that may help with your specific needs, recipes for making your own mixes, and more!
- You will receive a weekly email series of how to use each of the oils in the kit.
Start here & welcome! youngliving.com